Homepage / Domestic Violence and Restraining Orders

An upset woman with long brown hair in front of a gray background

Our Domestic Violence Lawyers in Oregon Help You Get a Restraining Order and Stabilize Your Life

Victims of domestic violence often feel powerless and live in fear every day. At Johnson and Taylor, our family law attorneys are dedicated to empowering those suffering from abuse. Our Oregon domestic violence lawyers can help you file for a restraining order and take other steps to protect you and your family. If you have been wrongly accused of domestic violence, our team can help dispute a restraining order and clear your good name.

What is a Restraining Order?

Under the Oregon Family Abuse Prevention Act (FAPA), victims who are physically harmed or threatened with abuse can file for a restraining order. In addition to FAPA protective orders, Oregon offers a few other types of restraining orders

  • Elderly Persons and Persons with Disabilities Abuse Prevention Act Restraining Order (EPPDAPA)
  • Sexual Abuse Protective Order (SAPO)
  • Stalking Protective Order (SPO)
  • Extreme Risk Protection Order (ERPO)
  • Emergency Protective Order (EPO)
  • No Contact Order

The type of protective order you need to file will depend on your specific situation. Our domestic violence attorneys can evaluate your circumstances and advise you on the best course of action to protect yourself.

Who Can File a FAPA Restraining Order in Oregon?

To obtain a FAPA restraining order, you must have been a victim of abuse by a spouse or intimate partner, family member, or parent of a child you share. The abuse must involve injury, attempted injury, an immediate threat of bodily injury, or sexual abuse. A victim must also be 18 years old, an emancipated minor, or a minor in a marriage or sexual relationship with someone 18 or older. Our family law attorneys understand that domestic violence situations are often volatile. Our domestic violence lawyers can help you understand your rights and file for a restraining order as soon as possible.

How Do I File for a Restraining Order in Oregon?

A restraining order must be filed in the county where you or your alleged abuser lives. Our domestic violence lawyers can ensure that it is filed with the proper court and all required paperwork is completed properly. When filling out the request form you should include detailed information about instances of abuse, including physical injury or fear of physical harm. This is best done with the help of a lawyer, especially if it is an emergency situation.

A judge will review your paperwork and if a temporary order of protection is granted, a sheriff’s deputy, process server, or another adult who lives in the state of Oregon must hand-deliver it to the respondent. They then have 30 days from the date it was served to request a hearing. A hearing may be scheduled within days, so it’s important to seek the counsel of a domestic violence lawyer as soon as possible. If a permanent order is granted in the hearing, it is typically in effect for a year.

Why Choose Our Domestic Violence Lawyers?

Our family law attorneys understand that filing for a restraining order and facing your abuser in court can be overwhelming and emotionally taxing. Restraining orders can also impact issues like child custody. Our team can represent you in court, assist you with all aspects of your case, and protect your interests. Our attorneys have longstanding relationships with the local courts and are well respected by judges and others in the legal community.

We care about you and your family and offer compassionate legal support you can trust. Our domestic violence lawyers treat our clients as we would treat our own family members and advocate voraciously on your behalf. Our divorce and family and estate planning and probate lawyers serve clients in Marion, Polk, and Linn County and surrounding communities. We also offer legal services and representation in estate planning, probate, and personal injury.

Fighting False Allegations of Domestic Abuse

In some cases, a person may be falsely accused of domestic violence, which can ruin your reputation and relationships and impact other areas of your life. If you have a restraining order against you and need assistance disputing it, our family law attorneys can provide convincing arguments and evidence and work to have the order dismissed.

Contact Our Oregon Domestic Violence Attorneys

If you or your family is being abused or threatened with bodily injury, our dedicated team at Johnson and Taylor can help. Call our office at 503-990-6641 or contact us online to schedule a consultation with a domestic violence lawyer in Salem, OR. Our experienced team includes Spanish-speaking attorneys and staff.