Homepage / Relative or Step-Parent Adoptions

Young Woman and Girl Running Through Field with Arms Open

Adoption Attorneys In Salem, OR

Adoption should be a joyful experience, but determining the legal requirements to complete the process can be challenging. At Johnson and Taylor, LLC, our experienced Salem adoption attorneys are well-versed in Oregon adoption law. Whether you’re a relative or step-parent seeking to adopt a child, or a birth parent who wants to place your child for adoption, our legal team guides you and your family through the process every step of the way.

Legal Adoption In Oregon

Single and married adults age 21 and older can adopt a child in Oregon, provided they meet the requirements as outlined by the state including same-sex couples. Each case is unique, and there are specific issues, laws and rules that may apply to your situation, including:

Home Study — The Oregon Department of Human Services (DHS) conducts interviews and home inspections to determine if a home is suitable for a child. A home study is required unless the adoptive parent is a step-parent, grandparent or biological parent using a surrogate. Other exceptions may also apply.

Post-Placement Home Visit & Report—DHS performs a follow-up home visit after adoption to see how the family is adjusting and the child is progressing.

Payment of the Birth Mother’s Costs — Adoptive parents may pay for the reasonable costs associated with the adoption, including medical costs, travel and legal expenses. Adoptive parents are not permitted to provide the birth mother with additional funds beyond these costs.

Consent to the Adoption —A birth mother must always give consent for another person to adopt their child unless her parental rights have been terminated. A biological father must also give consent if he is married to the birth mother or is the legal father of the child, unless his parental rights have been terminated.

Legal Documents — If you are adopting a newborn, the birth mother can change her mind at any time before signing the Surrender, Release and Consent to Adoption and Certificate of Irrevocability. It is advisable to wait 24 to 48 hours after the birth to ensure that she is deemed mentally competent to sign. Once this legal document has been signed and the child is placed in the adoptive home, the revocation or changing of the conditions of consent without proving fraud or duress is highly unlikely.

Indian Child Welfare Act — Adoptions involving children of Native American descent may require you to contact and submit documentation to their federally-recognized Native American tribe before the adoption. Our adoption attorneys in Salem have experience handling these types of cases and take care of providing proper documentation to tribal authorities.

Adopting an Adult or Foreign Child — This process can be complex, so having a skilled adoption attorney in your corner is vital.

Relatives & Step-Parents

Grandparents, aunts, uncles and other family members often step in when someone passes away or is unable to care for their child. Single parents sometimes wish to have their current partner adopt their child if the other biological parent consents or their parental rights have been terminated. If you’re considering adopting a family member or having your partner become your child’s legal parent, our adoption attorneys can help you make informed decisions and help you deal with any pitfalls you may encounter.

Birth Parents

If you’re a birth parent who is considering putting your child up for adoption, our attorneys can help you understand your rights and what is involved in the process. A birth mother has the right to determine who gets to adopt her child. She also has the right to do whatever she feels is necessary to be comfortable with the adoption, including interviewing the adoptive parents, receiving free counseling and adding conditions to the adoption agreement regarding contact with the child. A biological father has certain rights as well. Seeking the counsel of an experienced adoption is vital to ensure everyone’s interests are protected, including those of the child.

Contact An Adoption Attorney In Salem, OR

At Johnson and Taylor, LLC Our Salem adoption attorneys ensure that all parties are fully aware of their rights and responsibilities surrounding adoption. We are dedicated to helping families create loving homes that keep the best interests of the child in mind. Contact us online or call 503-990-6641 to schedule a consultation.