Homepage / Visitation Rights


Oregon Lawyers Protect Your Visitation Rights

Attorneys who know that parenting time is important to maintaining a relationship with your child

If you are the parent of a child who does not live with you, Johnson & Taylor knows that your right to spend time together is important to you and your child. Most of the time, both parents agree to a fair and beneficial parenting plan. However, if you are not lucky enough to be in that situation, you need a strong, energetic and knowledgeable ally like us to fight for your right to be a positive influence in your child’s life. We listen to our clients and make sure that their concerns are conveyed clearly to the court.

How is visitation determined, and what do I do if the other parent is not honoring the agreement?

As with every decision made for a child by the court, visitation, also known as parenting time, decisions are made in the best interests of the child. Basic plans include weekend and midweek visits, summer parenting time and holidays, but specific schedules are based on factors like the age of the child, work schedules of the parents and geographic distance between parents. Additionally, most parenting plans restrict a custodial parent’s ability to move more than 60 miles from his or her current home without giving notice to the other parent and allowing the person a chance to contest the move.

A good parenting plan is worthless if the other parent does not follow it. If that is the case for you, there are numerous steps you can take, including talking directly to the other parent, going through a mediator, using attorneys to talk to each other or as a last resort, going to court. If you can prove that parenting time has been unjustly hindered, the judge can award make-up time for parenting time missed, reduce spousal and/or child support, modify custody and even issue a contempt order.

When you have issues with parenting time, whether it is trying to get the other parent to agree to a schedule or enforcing the order already in place, you need a competent attorney who knows the process and can make your life easier. Johnson & Taylor knows what resources are available to you if you have a visitation issue and the steps to take to get you the parenting time to which you are entitled.

If your time with your grandchildren is taken away, you may have rights

It is not surprising that, after a separation or divorce, the parents of one parent see their time with their grandchildren reduced as well. Often, the other parent doesn’t want anybody around who is a reminder of the ex-spouse. One parent might also worry that the ex-spouse’s parents plan on undermining custodial authority or resent the grandparents for taking the ex-spouse’s side. If a satisfactory arrangement cannot be worked out between all parties, grandparents can petition the court for help.

Sometimes grandparents can receive visitation rights by intervening during a separation or divorce proceeding, but if that time has passed, they still can petition the court after the fact. The law assumes that parents act in the best interests of their children, so to be granted visitation rights, a grandparent must show:

  • An ongoing relationship with the grandchild or a parent-child relationship with the child.
  • That the parent does not act in the child’s best interests.
  • That continued contact with you, and the child is in the child’s best interests

Although the law favors the judgment of the parents, if you feel your grandchild’s custodial parent is not acting in the best interests of your grandchild by cutting you out of the child’s life, you need the help of a knowledgeable lawyer who can advise you of your rights and about how to proceed. Johnson & Taylor is well-versed in family law and works hard to ensure that your rights are protected.

Contact a Salem law firm that understands how important family time is to you

The positive effect quality time with your children has on them cannot be overstated, and just because you do not have custody of your child does not diminish that fact. Located in Salem, Oregon, Johnson & Taylor can help convince the court that ample time with you is in the best interests of your child. We ensure that your voice is heard during the parenting plan process. Contact us at 503-990-6641 or online.